Table of Contents
Captain Sonar puts two submarine crews together in a battle to the death. Each player has a unique role. Everyone must work together to find the location of the enemy sub, charge up your weapons, and hit the target. The surviving submarine wins! This reference would be for real time gameplay only, requiring a minimum of 4 players.
Split your group into 2 teams and determine the roles the players will take. If playing with less than 8 players, the Captain will also take the role of First Mate.
- Place the screen in the center of the table
- Each player takes their corresponding role sheets, with captain and radio operator on both sides using the same map
- Use the darker side of the sheets for real time
- Radio operator takes a transparent sheet
- Each player receives erasable marker
- The captains will pick a starting dot and mark it with an X
Start the game with both captains announcing “DIVE!”. The game is played simultaneously with no turns. You are free to move around as fast or as slow as you like. Overall, each “turn” or movement will consists of these steps, which must be performed before moving again
- Captain – Announcing a course and moving
- First Mate – Charging an ability
- Engineer – breaking down the sub
While all this is happening, the Radio operator is listening in to the enemy captain to figure out where the enemy submarine is. You are free to converse and strategize with your team.
As the captain, you are responsible for
Moving the submarine
The captain will announce a compass direction, and indicate the movement on the map. Each movement will move the sub one space. Follow these rules when moving
- You cannot backtrack or run into your previous path
- You cannot move across an island
- You cannot move into your own mine
- You must wait for OK’s from first mate and engineer before announcing the next course
Whenever you cannot move, you must surface. You can also choose to surface whenever you want to do repairs and erase previous paths. When you do, follow these steps
- Announce “Surfacing!”, and your current sector
- The engineer begins repairs by drawing line around one of the 4 sections on the top of his sheet, and initial
- Pass the sheet to a teammate and continue tracing the lines around other sections
- Show it to the enemy engineer to confirm all lines are within the outline
- Once confirmed, erase all lines, initials, and breakdowns
- Announce “ready to dive”
- While this is happening, the captain erases all previous paths, keeping only the current location
- Captain may now announce dive and continue moving
Whenever a gauge is full for a system, that system is ready to be activated. The first mate will erase the gauge for the system after it is activated. Follow these steps
- Confirm that there are no breakdowns effecting the system
- Raise a fist and announce “STOP”. Everyone stops what they’re doing
- Announce a system to activate, and resolve it
- Continue play
The first mate is in charge of charging the different systems on the ship. Fill out a segment of a gauge whenever the captain moves the ship. Indicate to the captain when a system is charged so they may use it. You may also activate the drone and sonar without the captain’s direction. You are also in charge of tracking the ship damage on the top right. The sub is lost if it takes 4 damage.
You are in charge of breaking down the sub. Everytime the captain announces a direction, you must cross out one of the symbols corresponding to the direction.
The radiation symbols can be crossed out, and has no effect on the systems. When all radiation symbols are crossed out, the sub takes 1 damage, and erase ALL breakdowns from the submarine.
Complete area breakdowns
When all symbols on a compass direction are crossed out, the sub takes 1 damage, and erase ALL breakdowns from the submarine.
Whenever all symbols connected by a line are crossed out, you may erase the marks from only those 4 connected symbols.
Whenever the enemy captain announces a direction, the radio operator draws it on the transparent sheet. You may also track locations of mine, surfacing actions, and silence system. Move the transparent sheet around the map to deduce where the enemy ship can be, with the help of drone and sonars. Regularly update the captain with useful information.
The game is over whenever a sub takes 4 damages. The surviving submarine team wins.