Table of Contents
Blood rage is an area control and card drafting game. Players take control of Viking clans and fight each other to increase their player stats, complete quests, and to die in glorious death. These action will earn you glory points, which is required to win the game. The game ends at the end of 3 Ages, at which point the player with the most glory points wins.
Board set up
- Set the game board in the middle of the table
- Place the green bordered pillage token on Yggdrasil
- Place the other pillage tokens randomly face up on the 8 outer provinces.
- Randomly take 3 Ragnarok tokens and place them on the Age track
- Place the Doom token on the province indicated by the first Ragnarok token
- Draw a number of Ragnarok tokens as determined by player number and destroy those provinces, placing the token destroyed side up
- Place the Saga token on the God’s gift spot of Age 1
- Give a player a first player token. The token will be passed to the left at the end of each age
Deck set up
- Separate the decks into the 3 Ages
- Remove any cards where you don’t meet the minimum required players
- Shuffle and place the 3 decks on the God’s gift area of the Age track
Player set up
- Take your clan sheet and matching warriors, leader, ship and extra bases
- Place clan tokens on the first spot of each stat track
- Place the last clan token on the 6 of the rage track as indicated by your rage stat.
The game is played over 3 Ages, and each Age has 6 phases. Each phase must be completed before the next. use the Saga token to keep track
This is the drafting phase of the game. Deal 8 cards from current age deck to each player. Each player will take a card and pass the remainder to the player on their left. This continues until there are 2 cards left to pass, which are discarded instead.
- Green border – Quest cards, play face down during action phase, resolved during quest phase
- Black border – Upgrade cards, play during action phase. Apply effect immediately. If it is a warrior, ship or leader upgrade you may invade with that unit for free.
- Red border – Combat cards, play during a battle in the action phase. Adds strength and other effects to the battle
Most cards are named after a Norse god. Each god has a type of benefit you can expect
- Odin – Judgment and punishment in and out of battle
- Thor – Glory and spoils for victory in battle
- Loki – Revenge or spoils for defeat in battle
- Frigga – Resources and support
- Heimdall – Foresight and surprises
- Tyr – Great numbers for winning battles
Players will select 2 cards to keep instead of one until each player has 6 cards. The remaining 2 cards are discarded as before
This is the main part of the game. It uses an action point system. Players take turns performing one action each, until their rage points are exhausted or they choose to pass. The phase ends when all players have passed, or all provinces not destroyed have been pillaged. Starting from the first player going clockwise, choose an action listed on the bottom of the player sheet, playing the cost in rage points. The 5 actions are
Choose a figure from reserve and pay rage equal to figure’s strength. Place figure in empty vilage. Place is Fjord if it is a ship. You cannot have more units on the board than indicated by your horn stat.
Pay one rage to march any number of units from one province to any other province
Choose an upgrade card from your hand, and pay rage equal to the card strength. Place the card in the appropriate slot on your player board. If the slot already contains a card, discard the old card. Upgrades grant permanent effects. Anytime you upgrade a unit, you may immediately invade with that unit for free. If you upgrade a monster, attach your clan base to the monster and you may immediately invade with that monster for free.
Commit to a Quest card by placing it face down on your player board. You may commit up to 2 quests of the same type. There is no rage cost.
Choose a province with at least one of your figure that has not been succesfully pillaged this phase. Pillage is taken in 3 steps
- Call to Battle
- Play cards
- Rage – Increase rage stat one step
- Axe – Incrase axes stat one step
- Horns – Increase horn stat one step
- 5 – Increase Glory by 5
- Yggdrasil – Increase all 3 clan stats by one step
If there are cards left in hand, players may keep one for the next age by setting it aside
Players now reveal all quests they have committed to. If the requirements are fulfilled, you may gain glory as indicated and increase any clan stat by one. Discard all revealed quest. For quests that involve strength in a province, ties in strength are fails.
Take the token on the Ragnarok phase and place it on corresponding province. All units in province and adjacent fjords are destroyed. When unit is destroyed in such a way, gain glory as indicated on age track. This province is permanently out of the game. Place the doom token on the next province to be destroyed by Ragnarok.
At the end of each age, all figures in Valhalla are returned to their owners. Before starting a new age, flip all pillage tokens on undestroyed provinces back to their reward side. Pass the first player marker to the left. Move the saga token to the God’s gift of the next age.
Add glory points from the player sheet for reach thresholds for each stat. The player with the most glory wins