Table of Contents
Forbidden Desert is a cooperative exploration game where players are adventurers lost in a desert. Each player has unique special abilities and they must work together to find the 4 parts required to build a magical ship and fly away. At the end of each player’s turn your quest gets a little more difficult as the wind shifts the sand around and the group starts dying of thirst…
Win condition – Find the location of the 4 missing parts, pick them up, and meet up with the whole team at the launch pad
Lose condition – Any one player loses all water, the storm meter goes to the top space, or the supply runs out of sand.
- Lay the tiles randomly desert side up and compass on top left into a 5×5 grid with a hole in the middle
- Place sand markers light side up on the tiles in a diamond shape
- Place the 4 machine parts beside the board
- Set the difficulty level on the Sand Storm meter
- Shuffle the storm and equipment deck
- Deal an adventurer card randomly to each player. Set the water meter to full
- Place pawns corresponding to player colors onto the crash site
- Archeologist – Remove 2 sand markers from any tile for 1 action
- Climber – Can move to blocked tiles, can carry one other player
- Explorer – Move, remove sand, and use Dune Blaster diagonally
- Meteorologist – Spend action to draw fewer storm cards (1 action per card). Spend 1 action to look at top storm cards equal to storm level, placing one at the bottom of the deck
- Navigator – Move another player 3 tiles per action. Explorer and climber abilities will apply.
- Water carrier – May take 2 water from already excavated wells for 1 action. Give water to players on same or adjacent tiles for no action
Perform up to 4 actions
Take up to 4 of the actions from the following list. You may also share water and equipment cards with other players on the same tile for free at anytime during your actions.
Move to an adjacent unblocked tile in one of the 4 compass directions
Remove one sand tile per action from your current tile or one of the 4 adjacent tiles
Flip over the current cleared desert tile and resolve. The types of tiles are
- Water – There are 3 desert tiles with a water symbol. 2 of which are wells, and one is a mirage. When a well is excavated, every player on the tile may add 2 water to canteen once
- Gear symbol – Take an equipment
- Parts location – There 4 sets of 2 tiles that mark location of each part. Each tile marks the row or column the part is in. Once both tiles for a part is revealed, place the part on the intersecting tile.
- Tunnels – Move between unblocked tunnels for 1 action. Tunnels protect players on them from the effects of Sun beats down
- Launch pad – All players must gather here when all parts are collected to win
Draw storm cards and resolve
Draw a number of storm cards equal to the current storm meter level. Reveal the cards one at a time and resolve. There are 3 types of storm cards