Table of Contents
Viticulture is a worker placement game where players are owners of competing wineries. Throughout years in the game, the players will plant vines, harvest grapes, and eventually turning them into wine. Players earn victory points mainly by completing wine orders. The player with the most points wins.
Board set up
- Rooster tokens on Wake up chart
- Cork token on start space
- Shuffle the 4 colored decks and place into matching color spaces on board
- Bottle token in middle of residual payment tracker
Player set up
- Receive player mat
- Place three Field cards in ascending order
- Pick a first player and give grape token
- Randomly select one set of Mama and Papa cards, collect resources accordingly
The game consists of years of 4 seasons plus a clean up round, to be played until the end game trigger is reached. Depending on the number of players, some action spaces are not used. Each year or round is played in order as followed
Starting with the first player, place a rooster on a wake up chart space to determine turn order for worker placement. Take the bonus associated with the space.
This is the first worker placement phase. In wake up order, place workers on action spaces until all players pass. These are the rules for worker placement
- A worker is only used once a year
- A player may place more than one worker on a location on subsequent turns if space allows
- Workers can only be placed on the current season’s spaces
- A player must take the action when worker is placed
- Some spaces have bonuses, take bonus when that space is used
- Grande worker can be placed on location even if it is full
- Grande worker can only take bonus when placed on bonus space
Summer action spaces
Draw a vine card
Bonus – Draw an extra vine card
Take 2 coins
Bonus – Take one additional coin
Build an unbuilt structure by paying the cost and placing building token on player mat
Bonus – Gain 1 coin
Place a green vine card on one available field. The total value of the vines must not exceed the value of the field. The only way to uproot a vine is to use the yoke
Bonus – Plant an additional vine card
Sell grape tokens from the crush pad ofr the price indicated beside each pad. Discard token when sold. Alternatively sell or buy back a field for lira indicated. Flip over field to sold side. Field may not be sold if it contains vines. F
Bonus – Gain one victory point
Play a summer visitor card, placing the card in the matching discard pile.
Bonus – Play a second summer visitor card
The summer phase ends when all players have passed.
In wake up order, draw either a summer or visitor card
Using the remaining workers in wake up order, take turns placing workes as in summer phase.
Winter action spaces
Draw purple wine order card
Bonus – Fill an additional wine order
Choose one of the fields to harvest. Add the value of the red grapes and place glass token on crush pad at that value. DO the same for the white grapes. Vine cards are not removed. If the crush pad value is occupied, downgrade the new grape by one until available.
Bonus – Harvest an additional field
Gain one coin. This space is not limited by seasons or number of workers
Pay for gold to gain a worker for the following year.
Bonus – gain one coin
Discard wine tokens with value of atleast the number indicated on the order. Gain victory points. Move token up on residual payment tracker.
Bonus – Gain one victory point
Tokens from the crush pad to an equal value wine in the cellar. Cellars must be upgraded to make higher value wines. If a wine space is unavailable, downgrade the wine until space is available. Grapes can be combined to make blush and sparkling. Once in cellar, wines cannot be combined.
Bonus – Make an additional wine
Play a winter visitor card, Discard into matching discard pile
Bonus – Play an additional winter visitor card
Year end clean up
- Increase value of all grapes and wines by 1
- Return all workers
- Collect residual payments
- Discard down to 7 cards
- Rotate first player token
The game end is triggered when one player reaches 20 points. The current year is finished. Player with most points wins. Ties are broken by lira, value of wine in cellar, the value of grapes on crush pad.