Table of Contents
Potion Explosion is a set collection game. Players take marbles (ingredients) from a dispenser to make potions. When ingredients are taken, they could cause other ingredients to collide and explode! You can then take those as well. Throughout the game, you can drink the potions you just made to help you make more potions. Each completed potion is worth points. The game ends when the pool of skill tokens are exhausted. The player with the most points at the end wins.
- Give each player a Desk board
- Give a player the start player marker
- Drafting starter potions
- Remove 2 Kinds of potion at random from all the potion tiles
- Take 2 random starter potion per player, place in center of table recipe side up
- The first player starts by taking a potion of a choice, proceeding clockwise
- Once all players have chosen a potion, the last player takes another one, proceed counter-clockwise until all players have 2 starters
- Place the starters recipe side up on desk
- Shuffle the other potions and separate into 5 stacks, recipe side up
- Place ingredients randomly in the tank
- Place little help tokens and skill tokens (depends on player number) in the middle of table
Take an ingredient from one of the columns in the dispenser. If removing the ingredient causes ingredients of the same color to collide, they explode you can remove those too. Explosions are only triggered by the regular remove action. They are not triggered by drinking potions or little help. If removing the exploded ingredients causes another explosion, you can then take all those exploded ingredients as well etc…
Keep all removed ingredients in your hand until the next phase
Place ingredients on your desk according to these rules
- When available, you MUST place ingredients from your hand onto available matching colored spaces on your potions.
- You may freely move potions between your hand and the storage flask during your turn
- Once an ingredient has been placed on a potion, it cannot be removed
- Any marbles you cannot place must be placed in the flask until it is full
Completing a potion
When a potion has all their spots filled, it is completed. Place the marbles randomly back in the top of the dispenser and turn the potion over to the completed side. Place it under the desk board in your potion area, cork side up.
When you’ve taken your regular pick, drank any potion you wish, asked for a little help, and filled up your flask and recipes. Your turn now ends. Follow these steps
- Discard all ingredients from your hand to the top of the dispenser
- If you have less than 2 potions in your desk, draw one more from the top of any one of five stacks
- You MAY NOT move ingredients from the flask to the new potion, because your turn has already ended
- Check to see if you’ve earned one or more skill tokens
- Check if Game has ended
Drinking a potion
At anytime during your turn, you may drink a potion you have completed. Indicate this by turning the potion upside down. The potion is still worth victory points at the end, and count towards earning skill tokens. Each potion will have a different effect. Taking ingredients do not trigger explosions.
Take one ingredient from dispenser
Take 2 adjacent ingredients of different colors from the same track
Steal all ingredients from opponent’s flask
Place current ingredients from your pool onto any holes of incomplete potions, regardless of color
Take up to 1 ingredient of each color from bottom row of dispenser. You may only take one ingredient from each track
Activate the effect of any previously used potion
Take 2 or more adjacent ingredients of the same color from the same track
Discard up to 5 ingredients of one color from the same track. Place discards back in tank
A Little Help
Once per turn, you may take a little help token to take an ingredient from the dispenser. No explosions are triggered.
Skill tokens are worth 4 points. They are earned when
- Player completes at least 3 potions of the same kind
- Player completes 5 different potions
The game end is triggered when the last skill token is taken, or there are no potions available to take. Play continues untill all players have taken equal number of turns. Skill tokens may still be earned from the extra supply. Add up
- Points from skill tokens
- Points from potions
- Negative points from little help tokens
The player with the most points wins the game. Ties broken by tied players in turn order taking one marble from the dispenser. The player that triggers the biggest explosion wins.