Table of Contents
Lords of Waterdeep is a worker placement game where players act as Lords in the city of Waterdeep from Dungeons and Dragons. The goal of the game is to earn the most victory points, primarily through completing quests. Players will hire adventurers and other shady characters, build buildings, and intrigue each other to reach their goal.
Board set up
- Place 3 Victory points on each of the round track
- Shuffle building tiles, draw 3 and place on builder’s hall. Place building deck on board face down
- Draw 4 Quest cards and place them above Cliffwatch Inn. Place the deck face down below logo
- Shuffle intrigue cards and place in labeled space
Player set up
Each player takes
- Agents according to player number
- Place an extra agent on board below turn marker
- Score marker, place on 0 on board
- Player Mat
- First player takes white castle marker
- Gold depending on turn order
- Lord card, read, then keep face down
The game is played over 8 rounds. Before starting the first round, place victory tokens from round marker on to available buildings. At the start of round 5, take extra agent. Some purchased buildings also have start of round effects. Each round begins with the player holding the First player marker going clockwise with each player placing an agent. The round ends when all players have exhausted their available agents. On each turn players may
Place worker in unoccupied building space and take its action or reward.
This space contains 3 available actions, each with its own action space. They are
- Take face up quest and 2 gold
- Take face up quest and intrigue card
- Discard all face up cards, draw new face up cards and choose one
Refill the face up cards each time one is taken.
Choose a building from the 3 available, pay the cost and place on board. Take any victory points on the building when purchased. Place ownership token on building. Replace empty slot from building deck.
Place agent to play Intrigue card. WHen all other agents have been placed, the agents in Waterdeep harbor are reassigned to another space starting with the agent on space 1. You cannot reassign an agent back to Waterdeep Harbor.
Take the first player marker and an Intrigue card.
Player owned buildings
Follow the instructions on the tile. Whenever the building is used the owner also receives the owner benefit, except when the owner uses their own building.
You may complete one quest after assigning each agent. Turn in the required resources, and take the rewards in victory points and other resources. Place quest face down on player mat when complete. There are 2 special types of quests
- Mandatory quests
- Plot quests
When all players have exhausted their agent pool, The round ends. Take back all agents and begin next round.
The game ends after 8 rounds. Add the following to the victory point track
- Each adventurer is worth 1 VP
- Every 2 gold is 1 VP
- Bonuses from Lord card
Player with the most victory points wins, ties broken by gold.