Table of Contents
Clank in space is a deck building game that also involves characters moving around a spaceship. The goal is use resources and movements provided by the deck to move through the ship, steal one of the 6 artifacts, and escape. Throughout the ship there are enemies to fight, and obstacles to bypass. If you make too much noise during your adventure, you’ll also wake Lord Eradikus, who will attack and may leave you incapacitated. The player that escapes with the most amount of points wins the game.
Goals of the game
With the deck building mechanic, you are attempting to accomplish 3 goals before Lord Eradikus takes you down. They are
- Hack the spaceship computer
- Steal an artifact
- Escape through an escape pod in the cargo bay
The player with the most points that managed to escape will win the game
Board set up
- Assemble the modular board
- Place the 6* artifacts on their designated spots
- Place one Major and 2 Minor secrets onto each of their designated spaces
- Set up the market with 2* of each item
- Place the 4 escape pod tokens on their spots in the cargo bay
- Command code token, power crystals and credits next to board
- Bounty hunter cube (red) and blockade token on the rage track as indicated
- Boss marker on rage track position according to player number
- 24 Boss cube (black) into the bag
- Set up the permanent adventure row with G0B-L1N, FAZR, Boldly Go, and Memory Core cards
- Deal 6 cards into the adventure row, replace any with the boss attack symbol
- Place player pawns in cargo area starting space
Player set up
- Each player takes a deck of 10 cards
- 6 Hacks
- 2 Stumbles
- 1 Access
- 1 Scramble
- Take a set of colored clank cubes and data cubes
- Select a first player, and place 3 Clank! cubes into the Clank area. The second player places 2 cubes, third places 1 cube, and fourth 0 cube
To accomplish the 3 objectives, players will build their deck by acquiring more powerful cards from the adventure row. Each turn, the player will draw 5 cards from their own deck, and play them all. Each card will have symbols and text to resolve. Use these resources to move and purchase cards. Whenever a card is purchased, its spot is left unfilled until the end of turn.
Using the total value of skills and sword icons on the cards you played, you may purchase and fight as many cards as you like. When a card is purchased, it is placed in your discard pile. When an enemy is defeated, it is removed from the game. The row is not refilled until the end of the turn. The cards on the permanent row are always available for purchase and fight.
When you see the + Clank effect, add a clank cube of your color to the clank area. If you do not have any more cube, you do not add more. A – Clank effect lets you remove one clank from the clank area.
Trashing a card means removing it from the game. It is used to get rid of weak cards.
Teleporting to an adjacent space means you can ignore boots, enemies, locks. You can also teleport out of security check points. It does not leave you dizzy and you can continue to move after teleport.
Movement and Locations
Each boot symbol allows movement from one room to another room connected with a normal path. You cannot backtrack immediately in to the room you came from. Some paths have special rules
- Footprint – Requires 2 boots to traverse
- Enemy Icons – Take one damage per enemy head. Each sword used can negate one damage
- Lock – Must have master key to go through
- Directional arrow – May only traverse in one direction
- Market – May make a marketplace purchase with 7 credits
- Secrets – May take one secret token, and reveal it. Keep it infront of you until used
- Security checkpoint – When you enter a room with red hashmarks, you cannot use any more boots
- Data ports – Whenever you enter a room with a green data port, you may hack it by placing the data cube there, gaining its effect.
- Hyperlift – Move along its path to another hyperlift space. After movement, cannot use boots until next turn. May move through normally like regular spaces
- Telepads – Teleport from one pad to another if you own the telepass. After movement, cannot use boots until next turn
- Artifact – You can take the artifact if you do not already have one. You can now begin to escape
- Health/credit/crystal – Take the indicated resource
End of Turn
When a player is done resolving their cards, refill any empty spots in the adventure row. Resolve any arrival effects. If the card shows the Boss attack symbol, Lord Eradikus attacks. Resolve the attack as followed
- Place all cubes from the clank area into the boss bag
- Take the number of cubes as indicated by the boss position on Rage track
- If a black cube is drawn, set it aside
- If a colored cube is drawn, place it on the damage tracker for that player
The rage track increases anytime one of these 3 events occur
- A command code is complete
- An artifact is picked up
- An archive (a minor secret) is discovered
When the boss reaches the space on the rage track containing the bounty hunter, place it in the bag. Place the blockade on the blockade space when that last rage track space is reached.
- Mega health boost
- 5 credit chip
- Flash of Brilliance
- Spaceship plans
- Sixth crystal
- Sonic grenade
- Health boost
- Speed boost
- Combat boost
- 2 Credit chip
- Master key
After you have acquired an Artifact, you may escape by running back to the Cargo area. The following cases may happen
- You leave the ship by an escape pod for an extra 20 points. Count your score.
- You get knocked out in the Cargo bay. Count your score
- You get knocked out outside the cargo bay. You are out of the game
Players that are knocked out or have left the ship will no longer take their normal turns. They will instead put cubes from the clank area into the bag, and draw 4 each time they would have taken a turn. When a cube of their color is drawn, it has no effect.
Add up your score from these sources
- Value of artifact
- 1 credit is 1 point
- Points from tokens and market items
- Points from deck
Ties are broken by value of artifact.